Last updated September 29, 2016
Note: Some features mentioned here may not be available in your region or based on your user roleA grouping of user capabilities that describe the tasks a user can perform in OpenX.. For more information, please contact your OpenX representative.
If you are using OpenX Ad ServerA complete digital advertising platform where publishers sell, manage, and deliver their advertising inventory across all digital formats., you can now set up dynamic price line items to deliver on bids from header bidder partners by turning on the Header BiddingA monetization tool that exposes each impression to programmatic demand before calling the ad server. This lets publishers realize the true value of their direct and indirect inventory in real time. option in a line itemThe primary unit of execution for an order, which represents a specific inventory purchase and the required conditions for ad delivery..
If this option is selected, the line item will be a non-guaranteed line itemFourth priority buying model, which does not reserve inventory. AKA “remnant line item.” that accepts a minimum bid that you specify. The line item is triggered by a specified bid keyA free-form string you associate to a header bidding line item, mapping it to a bid. It consists of a maximum of 20 lowercase characters.. The line item is not set at a specific price, but passes a dynamic price from a matching bid. This allows the line item to compete in the Ad Server at the accurate price with the OpenX Ad Exchange.
Before you decide to use OpenX header bidding line items, you need to know a few things:
- You will need to work with your header bidder partner(s) to set up header bidding on your pages.
- Header bidding line item prices must be in CPMCost per mille, a pricing method which calculates cost based on the number of impressions (per 1000). only. You cannot pass in prices in micros or any other format. If needed, you must set up a conversion to CPM before passing the price from the header bidder to OpenX.
- Header bidding line items are non-guaranteed only. You cannot set up guaranteed header bidding line items.
- You can set up only one key value (the Bid Key) per line item.
- The Bid Key is considered a custom key by OpenX. Make sure to manage your custom keys appropriately and avoid collision of keys.
- To report on the custom keys of your header bidding line items, you will need to have them whitelisted by OpenX. Please contact your Account Manager. Note that the Custom Key Value Report has limitations on the amount of key values it stores before it aggregates them.
Before setting up header bidding line items:
- Work with your header bidder partner(s) to get the header bidder code.
- Request the key value(s) to be whitelisted by OpenX.
- Implement your header bidder code.
To create a header bidding line item:
- Go to Orders in OpenX Ad Server and select the account that owns the order to which you would like to add a line item.
- Click Add Line Item to open the Create Line Item form.
The View Order screen opens.
The Create Line Item form is organized into four main sections:
- Line Item Details
- Delivery Settings
- Summary on the right side for easy review
After you save the line item, you cannot change this setting.
When you turn on header bidding for the line item, the Buying ModelThe terms under which a specific inventory purchase is made, as well as the priority order in which OpenX considers a line item for selection, including 1. Guaranteed – exclusive; 2. Guaranteed – share of voice; 3. Guaranteed – volume goal; 4. Non-guaranteed – preferred access; 5. Non-guaranteed; 6. House automatically defaults to Non-Guaranteed.