Last updated on March 14, 2018
Video in the OpenX Ad Exchange is in Beta release only. For more information, please contact your OpenX account manager.
Note: Some features mentioned here may not be available in your region or based on your user roleA grouping of user capabilities that describe the tasks a user can perform in OpenX.. For more information, please contact your OpenX representative.
If you have a video player on your website or app, you can serve video ads through OpenX Exchange.
The end-to-end process for a new publisherAn account type that represents a business with ad space to sell. to set up video consists of the following steps:
- Create a publisher account
- Create a site
- Create a linear video ad unit
- For Video in the Exchange (in Beta), configure and export your VAST ad tagsSynonymous with VAST URL. An HTTP-based URL that enables communication between video players and ad servers. Publishers configure these tags in order to serve video ads on their sites. for linear videoAn ad or ad unit that displays in sequence with video content in a video player. Sequencing may be pre-roll, mid-roll, or post-roll. Can be accompanied by a companion ad. An example is a video ad that plays before a video starts, though static images may also serve. ad units.
- Set up OpenX Market/Selling rules
Note: If you're an existing publisher, you likely do not need to create another account.
Use these best practices to stay informed about the video-specific caveats in the general publisher inventoryAd space available on a website or app. The basic unit of inventory for OpenX is an ad unit. set up process.
When you create a site, you choose a Default Delivery MediumThe manner in which an end-user is exposed to ad inventory, such as web or mobile.. From the Default Delivery Medium list, you select the default way that ads will be viewed for this siteAn OpenX component that represents top-level domains or subdomains and is used to organize ad units. Sites enable you to target and report on inventory performance..
For video, select either Linear Video (web, whether desktop or mobile) or Mobile (mobile appSynonymous with mobile. Refers to the use of an app via a mobile device, specifically to differentiate from mobile web.).
Note: OpenX uses the selected Default Delivery Medium as the default for the Ad Unit Type setting for any ad units that belong to the site.
If setting up a site for web property, choose Linear Video at the site level. At the ad unitThe smallest inventory component that represents the space on a site where ads display. level, the Ad Unit Type will automatically default to Linear Video.
- If setting up a site for a mobile app, choose Mobile at the site level. At the ad unit level, update the Ad Unit Type default of Mobile to Linear Video.
For full instructions, see Creating a linear video ad unit.
- As mentioned above, if you create a Mobile site (for mobile app), at the ad unit level you need to update the Ad Unit Type default of Mobile to Linear Video.
You receive a base VAST ad tagA small piece of code that defines the ad space where ads display on a website. It includes parameters that describe the inventory advertising campaigns can target, which may in turn display ads in the ad space. upon the completion of ad unit creation. The set up process for web (desktop and mobile) is different than mobile app.
In almost all cases, some portion of your VAST ad tag will need to be dynamic.