Last updated on March 7, 2019
Opt-in video motivates users to watch full-screen, non-skippable video ads within a mobile app by giving them a reward in exchange for their attention and time. For example, this reward could be access to premium content or features, ad-free service for a specific time period, an extra life, a new character, or a sought-after item.
The reward is given after the user completes the video and either closes the ad or returns from the call to action to explore the advertiser’s content by clicking the URL provided in the end card accompanying the video. Opt-in video is also known as “rewarded video” and is not the same as incentivized video.
OpenX currently supports opt-in video by passing the opt-in video signal from publishers to demand partners in bid requests. OpenX does not currently provide currency management features, such as verifying a user has completed a video, or indicating that a user should be rewarded after video completion.
Opt-in Video Example
Here’s an example of a user’s experience with opt-in video for a mobile game:
- A user, Casey, runs out of coins.
- Casey chooses (opts in) to watch a video ad in exchange for more coins.
- A non-skippable video ad plays.
- An end card appears to indicate that the video ad is completed and presents Casey with the option to explore the advertiser’s content or close the ad.
- Casey chooses to click to learn more about the advertised app and clicks the URL to visit the app store.
- Casey returns from the app store to the original app and sees the coins from the app developer that were rewarded upon completion of the video.
Benefits of Opt-in Video
Opt-in video has benefits for all involved: publishers, demand partners, and users:
- Opt-in video ads are integrated into the user’s app experience with the associated access to premium app content, features, or in-game rewards, and thus drive higher user ad engagement for advertisers without impacting user retention for app developers.
- The video ads that users see are full-screen and non-skippable, with high viewability and completion rates. Additionally, the option to include an end card display ad provides a clear call to action for the user. For advertisers, these features of opt-in video ensure marketing effectiveness and drive higher performance with measurable results.
How to Get Started with Opt-in Video
There are several ways to indicate that video inventory is opt-in video:
- VAST tags: Select the Is Rewarded check box when creating a linear video ad unit. This lets you indicate opt-in video inventory with one click, provided that you always want that ad unit to be opt-in video.
- OpenX Ad Request API: Use the
vrwparameter to indicate opt-in video inventory. Learn more via the Ad request parameters.
- OpenX Mobile SDKs: Indicate opt-in video using the appropriate flag as instructed in OpenX Mobile Android SDK or OpenX Mobile iOS SDK.